Monday, August 13, 2018

"Expensive" Jùjú



Olubi Taiwo, under his stage name "Expensive Olubi," was a midlevel jùjú star in '70s Nigeria. Other than that, I can't tell you anything about him. My wife Priscilla obtained a cassette of this record, Vol. 2 (MOLPS 5), while visiting the offices of his record company, Ibukun Orisun Iye, in Lagos in 1998. It's apparently a factory-issued cassette and not a dub of the vinyl presssing, but doesn't have a factory-printed label (see below). There was no inlay card for the cassette either. I got a scan of the LP cover from Discogs.

Recorded in the early '70s, this is fast-paced jùjú in the style that was popular then, and quite similar to the recordings of King Sunny Adé from the same era. Enjoy!



Download Vol. 2 as a zipped file here.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I have been following your blog for years and so thrilled that you revived it. I'm also a member of the Nigeria Nostalgia Project and i'm happy that you chime in now and then. I;m a huge music collector. Especially Highlife from Nigeria abd Ghana. I also collect traditional music. Actually, i'm just a music junkie. Cheers

Unknown said...

Do you know experience Olubi Taiwo was my father

John B. said...

Can you tell us more about him?

Anonymous said...

When i was a kid we stay in the same street at Tapa street ijeshatedo, i know all his children we grew up together as kids then, he built a story building in dat street