Ugandan singer/guitarist Sammy Kasule is present on many Kenyan recordings made during the 1980s. He was a member of Frantal Tabu's Orchestra Vundumuna, and as part of another group, Africa Jambo Jambo, was recruited to fill in as part of Orchestra Simba Wanyika during their 1989 European tour.
The 1984 solo LP Kasule (CBS (N) 014) was a smash, spawning three hits, "Kukupenda (Kuusudu)," "Ushirikiano" and Kasule's English-language version of Nguashi Ntimbo's "Shauri Yako," which I featured in my last post. Kasule's translation in turn formed the basis for Mbilia Bel's version of the song.
I understand Sammy Kasule is presently living in Stockholm.
Here are the complete contents of Kasule:
Sammy Kasule - Pesa Kuja
Sammy Kasule - Zongolo
Sammy Kasule - Shauri Yako
Sammy Kasule - Kukupenda (Kuusudu)
Sammy Kasule - Ushirikiano
And here are two singles that Kasule recorded around the same time that Kasule came out. "Numevumila" was on the Doromy label (DM 41), while "Niliota Ndoto" was issued on the VGA Editions Scolar label (VGA 008):
Sammy Kasule & Orchestra Samajako International - Numevumila Pts 1 & 2
Sammy Kasule & Ochila Odero - Niliota Ndoto Pts 1 & 2
Note: Tracks from the LP Kasule are no longer available for download. The album may be purchased online here.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Saturday, September 27, 2008
As promised, here is African Divas Vol. 2, originally posted last year as African Serenades Vol. 47b at Matsuli Music.
I apologize for the brevity of this post. Perhaps in the future when I have more time I will update it to include background information about these wonderful singers:
1. Abidjan Adja - Antoinette Konan (Côte d'Ivoire)African Divas Vol. 2
2. Barika Barika - Djeneba Seck (Mali)
3. Meta Meta - Martha Ashagari (Ethiopia)
4. Ami - Bebe Manga (Cameroun)
5. Ekwe - Onyeka Onwenu (Nigeria)
6. Medim Me Yom - Tity Edima (Cameroun)
7. La Paille et la Poutre - Nimon Toki Lala (Togo)
8. Mundeke - Afrigo Band featuring Rachael Magoola (Uganda)
9. Takko Wade - Kiné Lam (Senegal)
10. Keffa - Abonesh Adnew (Ethiopia)
11. Nyu Madin - Marthe Zambo (Cameroun)
12. Don't Let Me Go - Hindirah (Côte d'Ivoire)
13. Pare Chocs - Vonga Aye (Congo)
14. Dieleul-Dieuleul - Aby Ngana Diop (Senegal)